President Jacob Zuma's new ministers
President Jacob Zuma has appointed 10 new ministers and 10 deputy ministers following one of the biggest culls of a cabinet since the advent of democracy.
President Jacob Zuma has decided to make changes to the National Executive in order to improve efficiency and effectiveness, he said in a statement released last night.
The President says he has "directed the new Ministers and Deputy Ministers to work tirelessly with their colleagues to bring about radical socio-economic transformation and to ensure that the promise of a better life for the poor and the working class becomes a reality".
Five ministers axed in the overnight reshuffle
- Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan
- Deputy Finance Minister Mcebisi Jonas
- Derek Hanekom was who was Tourism Minister and MC at Mofu Ahmed Kathrada’s funeral
- Joemat Pettersson was Energy Minister
- Ngwako Ramatlhodi was Public Service and Administration Minister
The NEW minister positions
- Minister of Finance, Mr Malusi Gigaba – Replaces Pravin Gordhan
- Minister of Public Service and Administration, Ms Faith Muthambi
- Minister of Energy, Ms Mmamoloko “Nkhensani” Kubayi- replaces Pierterson
- Minister of Police, Mr Fikile Mbalula – Replaces Nathi Nhleko
- Minister of Tourism, Ms Tokozile Xasa – Derek Hanekom
- Minister of Public Works, Mr Nathi Nhleko, - Replaces Thulas Nxesi
- Minister of Home Affairs, Prof Hlengiwe Mkhize – Replaces Malusi Gigaba
- Minister of Communications, Ms Ayanda Dlodlo – Replaces Faith Muthambi
- Minister of Sports and Recreation, Mr Thembelani Nxesi – Replaces Fikile Mbalula
- Minister of Transport, Mr Joe Maswanganyi – Replace Dipuo Peters
- Deputy Minister of Finance, Mr Sifiso Buthelezi – Replaces Mcebisi Jonas. Sifiso Buthelezi spent 10 years at Prasa. His successor Popo Molefe and now fired Chairperson of the Prasa board asked the Public Protector to investigating allegations of maladministration and corruption reported under his term.
- Deputy Minister of Public Service and Administration, Ms Dipuo Letsatsi-Duba – Replaces Ayanda Dlodlo
- Deputy Minister of Public Enterprises, Mr Ben Martins - Replaces Bulelani Gratitude Magwanishe
- Deputy Minister of Arts and Culture, Ms Maggie Sotyu – Replaces Rejoice Thizwilondi Mabudafhasi
- Deputy Minister of Trade and Industry, Mr Gratitude Magwanishe – Replaces Deputy Minister Mzwandile Masina
- Deputy Minister of Communications, Ms Thandi Mahambehlala – Replaces Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams
- Deputy Minister of Tourism, Ms Elizabeth Thabethe – Replaces Tokozile Xasa
- Deputy Minister of Police, Mr Bongani Mkongi – Replaces Maggie Sotyu
- Deputy Minister of Telecommunications and Postal Services, Ms Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams – Replaces Hlengiwe Mkhize
- Deputy Minister of Small Business Development, Ms Nomathemba November – Replaces Elizabeth Thabethe
In case you were wondering, Minister Bathabile Dlamini remains the minister in the department of Social Development
Sakina Kamwendo speaks SABC political editor Mzwandile Mbheje