On Air Feature

SA does NOT need permission to leave ICC: Masutha

Date: Oct 24, 2016

Misniter of Justice and Correctional Services Michael Masutha says South Africa does not permission to withdraw from the International Criminal court

There's been an outcry over South Africa's announcement to withdraw from the International Criminal Court. Human Rights groups say this is a slap in the face of millions of victims worldwide.   Analysts say government' decision is likely to prompt other African countries to do the same.  

On Saturday the ICC asked South Africa to reconsider its decisions to withdraw from the institution. South Africa is following on the footsteps of Burundi which is the first country to withdraw from the Rome statute.   

Speaking to Sakina Kamwendo on the Forum@8 on SAfm Justice Minister Michael Masutha said Minister Masutha says SA can not continue to be party to system that promotes confusion in international law. The Minister added that South Africa did not need to consult with public or get permission to withdraw from the ICC. "It was an executive decision"

South Africa also been challenged for not complying with the terms of an arrest warrant by the ICC for Sudanese President Omar Al-Bashir. He was allowed to leave the country in defiance of a court order after attending an African Union summit last year. Masutha says arresting Bashir, a sitting head of state, would have been tantamount to calling for a regime changing.

Who will be next to withdraw from the International Criminal Court?

LISTEN TO FULL DISCUSSION between Justice Minister Michael Masutha and Angela Mudukuti, International Criminal Justice Lawyer, Southern Africa Litigation Centre

Comments

comments powered by Disqus

Web Content Viewer (JSR 286)

Actions
Loading...
Complementary Content
CLOSE

Your Name:*

Your Email:*

Your Message:*

Enter Captcha:*