SAfm Playwriting Competition NOW open
This is an invitation to writers to explore the medium of sound … “the theatre of the mind” … to create a one-hour radio play in English!
SAfm is inviting writers to explore the medium of sound “the theatre of the mind” to create a one hour radio play in English. The play has to be a new and original idea that writers can bring to the airwaves. Plays must be specifically written for radio; stage plays or plays requiring adaption will not be considered.
There are no limits to the choice of topics or the style of writing: Comedy, tragedy, fable or folklore, social or domestic drama (slice of life) or what you will. There is no restriction on the number of entries which an author may submit.
· First prize R65 000
· Second prize R35 000
· Third prize R25 000
- Plays submitted must be of 1(one) hour’s duration, original works, and not previously broadcast.
- Plays must be specifically written for radio; stage plays or plays requiring adaptation will not be considered.
- Plays must be written in English.
- Entries should be typed in a font comparable to 11 point Century Gothic, double-spaced and on one side of the paper only. The standard size of a radio script is A4. Following these guidelines, a 60-minute play would run to about 45 pages. Please follow the SAMPLE SCRIPT LAYOUT in the booklet “The Writing Of Plays For Radio”, which can be acquired from the SAfm Drama Department (email@example.com)
- There are no limits to the choice of topics or the style of writing: Comedy, Tragedy, Fable or Folklore, Social or Domestic Drama, Satire, “Slice of Life” …. Or what you will!
- Submissions should reach SAfm by 5pm (17:00) on 28th February, 2017.
- Authors must certify that plays submitted are their original works, and must indemnify the SABC against any infringement of copyright, deliberate or otherwise
- If a play submitted contains any material (a quotation from a poem, for example) which is subject to copyright restrictions, the author must indicate this fact, so that the SABC may apply for copyright clearance, if required.
- Authors of winning entries (or those chosen for broadcast) must make the usual cession of copyright in respect of their play, to the SABC.
- There is no restriction on the number of entries which an author may submit.
- The SABC accepts no responsibility for any posted manuscripts which may be lost, although all care will be taken to see that this does not happen, once scripts have been received. Please note that manuscripts will not be returned to the author.
- The Competition Judges’ decisions shall be final, and no correspondence will be entered into in this respect.
- Prizes are NOT transferrable and are not negotiable.
- The right is reserved to withhold the awarding of prizes if no entries are considered by the Judges to merit them.
- This Competition is open to any person resident in South Africa, excluding employees of the SABC, agencies, prize sponsors or any person directly or indirectly involved in the organisation or running of the Competition, or their immediate family members.
- Writers are requested to fill in the attached entry form, and where a pseudonym has been used, please also state your real name. Your name should only appear on the entry form and not on the script.
- All postal entries should be clearly marked SAfm Radio Drama Play Writing Competition, Room 625, 6th Floor, Radio Park, P.O. Box 91162, AUCKLAND PARK, 2006. Alternatively, the plays may be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org . All emailed entries must be in PDF format. For more enquiries, phone 011 714-4599.
- SAfm and Channel Africa will have the right to broadcast each of the winning entries twice, with subsequent broadcasts, if any, attracting repeat payment at current rates. Other entries of a high standard may, at the sole discretion of SAfm and Channel Africa, also be broadcast by SAfm and Channel Africa in the usual way at current rates of payment.
- SAfm and Channel Africa will have the right to make the above broadcasts available as streams on the SAfm and Channel Africa websites simultaneous with each radio broadcast of the Programme and on demand at any time from the date of recording. All broadcast contracts will be subject to existing arrangements within SAfm and Channel Africa.
- SAfm reserves the exclusive right to contract any plays entered into this competition for a period of 6 (six) months after the announcement of the winners.
- Previous winners of this competition may NOT enter again for a period of two years
For more information contact the SAfm Drama Department at email@example.com or phone Niquita Joseph on 011 714-4599 or Visit us at SAfmRadio on Facebook and @SAfmRadio on Twitter
Click on the link below to Download the Playwriting Competition Form: